Tribute to John L. Hatch




(excerpts from writings from Robert)
John was a happy addition to the Marza and Roy Hatch family since there were three girls and only one boy. He was a handsome and loving child.
However, the “terrible twos” stage with John took on a whole new meaning. Some could refer to him as a terror—his school teachers, his Primary teacher, and above all his mother had to contend with his “berrinches” (tantrums). As I recall, he would frown and stick out his lower lip, which for awhile was even more prominent because of a scar, the result of a fall.
One of John’s favorite childhood toys was a small tricycle called “Shinola." This tricycle, although missing a full compliment of rubber on some of the wheels, provided transportation to all parts of the neighborhood.
John had a love for horses which started early, possibly when a picture of him was taken at the local “feria”. He was dressed in “vaquero” style and sat proudly on top of a fake horse. During his teenage years, John owned a pair of cowboy boots, something his dad disapproved of, believing that the use of boots was a license to cuss.
As a teenager, John was popular and respected. He enjoyed his classmates at the JSA and participated in all school activities. Upon graduating, he attended BYU, served a mission, and returned to the Y. John had dated Sandra Call while in high school, but not until she decided to go on a mission, did John ask her to marry him. John and Sandra have lived in the Colonies since graduating from the Y.
Because of his love of hunting and fishing, John has had ample opportunity to learn about the mountains, the Colonies, and the history of the area, making him a sought after tour guide. Traveling with John is enjoyable, not only because of the stories he tells, but also because of the culinary delights he prepares. He is famous for his carnitas, ceviche, and “disquiadas." John also knows world history, places and current events because of what he has read.
Above all, John is a great father and family man. He has raised a good family. He has served and continues to serve well in the Church. For his children and for us, there has never been a doubt where John stands on important issues. As I understand the Gospel, loving God, loving others, serving them, and honoring one’s Priesthood is what it is all about John's life is one of commitment to principles that bring happiness now and forever.
Tributes to John from his children:
A side of my dad that is often missed is his spiritual side. He has a love for his family, nature, his Savior and the church that too few men have. Years ago, as Grandpa Hatch was ready to pass from this life into the next, my father treated him with so much respect and love. It was such a spiritual experience for me to watch him help Grandpa into the truck to take him to the orchard or across town, and watch the two of them having the same conversation for the tenth time. He understands life and the Plan of Salvation. I believe the biggest reason my dad enjoys the mountains so much is the closeness he feels to our Savior and to his ancestors while sitting on a rock pondering God’s greatness and love for each and every one of us.
Joshua Hatch
I have known my father-in-law for almost ten years now. I had the privilege of giving him his first granddaughter. It was a sight to see the expression on his face the first time he held her.
With all of our children there has been nothing but pure love for them from him. He loves them as if they were his own. He is a good grandpa. I have been able to see a change in him since all the children have left the home. He is so considerate of Sandi. If she is out visiting us and he comes out later, he will always have flowers for her, and even a single flower for each daughter. It means so much to us.
He is so knowledgeable about the outdoors. Last year we went camping up in Pacheco. It was the first time I had been there. What a beautiful part of the country! The twins were just over a year old. I could see the joy in Dad’s fact to have our family enjoying the great outdoors with him. We were also lucky enough to go along with him to the beach of San Carlos. He loves the ocean and the beach. I have good memories of him making a sand castle with my girls. You are never too old to make a sand castle.
I love hearing his stories, especially of his ancestors. What a legacy to follow! I take pride in marrying into this family. I try my best to do what is right so to not let anyone down. Dad is such an example of dedication to the gospel. I try to show that with my own children.
I am glad to know this man and to be a part of his family.
Jennie Hatch
As I have been thinking about a tribute to my dad, a lot comes to mind. The first thing is always his and my heritage: those who have come and gone on before us, and my dad’s interest in knowing more about them. I couldn’t be more grateful to Grandpa for what he taught and was to my dad. More than anything, the thing I share with my dad which he learned from grandpa is a respect and love for the mountains, nature and God’s creations. I was privileged to be taught this from a young age. It has been a great blessing for me in times of meditation and thought. I now know why the ancient prophets went to the top of the mountains to converse with God and to pray. I feel close to God while in nature witnessing His creations. I will always be grateful to my father for teaching me that at a young age and for making the time to take me to the mountains. I don’t recall Dad every saying no when we would ask him if we could go hunting, fishing or just camping. He always made time in his schedule. That is something I hope to pass on to my kids when they come. I will always love my dad and be grateful to him. Thank you, Dad.
Nate Hatch
Primeramente, me siento muy afortunada de tener a John como mi suegro, porque ha side un excelente padre. Les ha enseñado a sus hijos desde muy pequeños las cosas que en verdad son necesarias, y tienen valor para que sean buenas personas y hombres de provecho. Me gusta mucho ya que es una persona que va directamente al grano sin tener que dar tantas vueltas para decir las cosas. Es sincero y muy acertado en sus dichos. Me encanta su humor y su buen gusto por la naturaleza.
Nereida Hatch
I think the best thing I would say about my dad would be how much he is like his dad, my grandpa. Family comes first, then the church, followed by recreation. Then work is last. My dad will always spend his time where he enjoys it the most. One outing in the mountains he commented to us brothers, “I would rather spend time with you, my sons, up in the hills than with anyone else”. My dad has always been an example to me, and I hope I live up to his great example, and the example Grandpa Hatch set for all of us.
Adam Hatch
I love my suegro because he is a very loving man. I appreciate the life he has lived and his example to all of us. I want to thank him for all the advice, counsel and love he has given our family. I grew up listening to my Grandpa Julio quote his suegra Doña Clementina’s dichos and refranes all the time. I believe that in this lifetime I have found someone who knows and uses as many refranes as my great-grandmother did. John has a “precise” refran for every situation. We love being around him. I admire his love and dedication to his wife, all his children, and to the Church. Because of his example, Adam is who he is today, and the kids and I can enjoy the blessings that come from that. I love you very much!
Marcia Hatch
When it comes to describing my dad, I feel that I am a chip off the block, so it makes this relatively easy for me. From my earliest memories I can remember his love for the outdoors and specifically the mountains. This is something he enjoyed sharing with us, just as his father had done for him. It must have been hard at times to drag the little tikes, freshly graduated from diapers along for the ride on fishing or hunting trips with his friends. He has always made a point of letting us know how much he enjoys spending time with us on these trips and has made them enjoyable. This brings to mind the admirable trait of patience, something he always exemplified while teaching us something new. Respect was always required of us when we associated with our elders, something that is lost in most of today’s youth. Most of all, how grateful I am to have had a worthy father in my home while growing up, as some of my good friends did not, and it showed. I learned the importance of responsibility and never wanted to let him and my mother down, as I felt it would reflect on them, especially in our lovely community where the news traveled quickly. Still today, while facing decisions daily, I can look to my father’s example as one to follow. As I have recently stepped into the role of husband and father, I will be able to put to practice the traits my father showed with us as kids and also with our mother. I am a firm believer that the happiness in a home directly reflects on the head of the household, and Dad, along with my mother, tried to make the home a joyful place to be: no small feat with four teenage boys in the picture. In bringing this to a close, I want to reiterate my gratitude for Dad’s testimony and love, which he has always shared.
Jordan Hatch
I have known my father-in-law for a little over two years now. During Jordan’s and my rather speedy courtship, I remember meeting John for the first time. He immediately gave the impression of a solid, hard-working, loving father who was immensely proud of his son. I quickly grew to respect and admire John for being the type of man that he is. Over the last two years I have noticed that he is always quick to help out others even if it not the most convenient thing for himself. I have also realized that although he is not a huge talker around big groups, when he does say something it is usually hilarious or very heartfelt. I appreciate the great knowledge that he shares about family both by his words and his example. I am truly honored to be able to have him as a father to me and a grandfather to my children.
Arian Hatch
My dad is my favorite man, along with my husband of course! I can’t put one above the other because it’s two different types of loves in my life. It’s true what they say: “You marry someone like your father”. Although they are different in many ways, I did what the saying says. Both men have a great love for God’s creations and the outdoors, whether it’s hunting, camping, or riding the waves of the “big blue”. I’m so happy I acquired my dad’s love for these beautiful, peaceful, relaxing places. I’m also glad he taught by example that it’s not important how much money or extravagant things you might have, you can have tons of fun anywhere, when you’re with your loved ones. I like how he’s happy just to relax and “chill” and enjoy life.
I love going on car rides with him because of all the interesting stories he tells! He really knows his historic events! I also married someone like my father in how he loves his family and thinks they’re important. My dad always treats us like we’re very special. I always felt like “daddy’s little girl” and he to this day calls me little girl. Although we weren’t much of family for public display of affection, we knew we loved each other. I’m just glad that the older we get, we realize it’s important to say it and show it more. I’m so thankful that I had such a man to look up to, and that I was lucky enough to find someone like him for a husband. I love you, Dad!
Jennifer Quaranta
After five years of marriage, I’ve learned to say, “Yes dear, you’re right”, so I will agree with everything Jennifer said. I will always remember the hunting trip we went on. It was a great time bonding with not only Dad, but also all the brothers. Hopefully we have many more trips ahead.
Ian Quaranta
Though I’m still young, I have started to notice that the old saying “like father, like son” is an inevitable fact of life. There’s hardly a day goes by that I don’t catch myself saying, thinking or doing something just like my dad would say, think or do. I have noticed that many of my likes and dislikes are mirror images of my dad’s and I have become more and more interested in the things that he is interested in. I realize that I am the person I am in large part because of my dad, and I just want to say: Thanks Dad—I hope that some day I can be just like you.
Stewart Hatch

1 Comments:
I'd like to pile on here and add one thing about Uncle John and Aunt Sandra that has impressed me, and that is their commitment to family, and not just their immediate family. When Christy and I were married, John and Sandra drove all the way up to Albuquerque from the colonies to attend our reception in person. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that was about 14-hour drive, round trip to be there for their nephew and niece-in-law. I will never forget that.
Post a Comment
<< Home